Last update: January 16th, 2018
Don't let the battery die inside the watch
will eventually leak and damage the watch.
• (Type 50 only). There is also an internal coin cell to keep time when the main battery is dead or during its replacement. As soon as you notice that the internal coin cell is not performing its duty anymore, it should be replaced to avoid internal leakage. Note that this cell is optional and can be removed by opening the back screw cover with the appropriate watch tool and pulling off the press-fitted circuit board.
• Type 50
If the watch does not work after inserting a fresh battery:
use Duracell brand batteries, the positive tip is shorter than other
brands and does not make proper contact internally. Energizer brand
• Open and disassemble the door (with hex key). Clean all exposed metal contacts.
• Inspect interior of the watch to ensure previous battery did not leak and damage the circuit board.
• (Type 40 only) Make sure the golden spring-loaded contact in the door hinge is clean and free to move (use a wooden toothpick for inspection to avoid damage).
• Perform simple electrical contact test to see if the door is the culprit (Type 40, Type 50, Type 50X).
• If it's not already the case, place a fine steel wool ball in the door spring. Use pure steel wool that does not have chemicals in it.
• If the watch has been turned on momentarily (e.g.: closing the door and re-opening it), it is possible the watch will not turn on again unless internal capacitance is fully discharged. In doubt, let the door open for 5 minutes to allow for a complete discharge before attempting to turn on the watch again.
If the watch does not program
if the watch is in programming mode. For Type 40, the programming
mode disables all other functions and the display won't respond until
time is set (or 2-minute time out). For Type 50, the display responds
proportionally to the amount of light shined on the back of the
watch. Refer to operations manual (links above) if unsure.
• Set brightness of your programming device to maximum.
• Place the watch 20 cm away from the programming device's screen (this limits the amount of lights entering the watch and prevent saturation of light sensor).
• If using an android phone, use the app and not the website (app sets brightness to maximum automatically and have better control over timing).
• Move to a different programming device if all the above does not help.